Intertitles for eventual integration
When each of us goes through the continuity script, we can keep a list of intertitles (by partial text, shot number, and key words) that we think we would want to include as stills somewhere in the project. When we have arrived at a preliminary list we can start plucking out those images and seeing what size, quality, and resolution is necessary to make the text readable without taking up too much screen space.
3. MOTION PICTURES
A PLEA FOR THE ART OF THE MOTION PICTURE/We do not fear censorship...
...war may be held in abhorrence...
7. SEEDS OF DISUNION
The bringing of the African to American planted the first seed of disunion.
33. NOSTALGIA FOR OLD SOUTH
...a quaintly way that is to be no more...
41. SOUTHERN FEMININITY
Margaret Cameron, a daughter of the South, trained in the manners of the old school.
65. INDIVIDUALS REPRESENT LARGER ENTITIES
Chums–the younger sons.
North and South.
107. SEEDS OF DISUNION; STATE SOVEREIGNTY
The gathering storm...
120. LYDIA'S AMBITION
...aroused from ambitious dreamings...
133. STONEMAN'S WEAKNESS
The great leader's weakness that is to blight a nation.
144. LINCOLN, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
The First Call for 75,000 Volunteers...
174. CONFEDERATE FLAG, NOSTALGIA FOR OLD SOUTH
The first flag of the Confederacy...
196. CONFEDERATE FLAG, NOSTALGIA FOR OLD SOUTH
...the Spirit of the South
201. FEMALE SACRIFICE, WOMEN AND WAR
A mother's gift to the cause...
232. GUERILLA RAIDS, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...the first negro regiments of the war...
249. SCALAWAGS, RACE AND CLASS, MILITARY CONDUCT
The scalawag white captain influences the negro militia to follow his orders.
...bitter, useless, sacrifice...
317. WOMEN AND WAR, FEMALE SACRIFICE
...the women and children weep...
323. BATTLE SCENE, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
339. BATTLE SCENE, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
344. BATTLE SCENE, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...food train...is misled...
350. BATTLE SCENE, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
410. BATTLE SCENE, MILITARY CONDUCT
...last charge to succor a fallen foe.
417. BATTLE SCENE, MILITARY CONDUCT
The Unionists cheer the heroic deed.
454. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...military hospital set up in the Patents Office...
473. FEMALE SACRIFICE
"I am going into that room to my boy..."
476. MILITARY CONDUCT
...to be hanged as a guerilla.
"...the Great Heart."
507. STATE SOVEREIGNTY
The end of state sovereignty...
515. NOSTALGIA FOR OLD SOUTH
...raw cotton, for the grand occasion.
529. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
...clemency for the South.
531. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
...treated as conquered provinces."
533. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH, LINCOLN
"I shall deal with them as though they had never been away."
535. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH, LINCOLN
...under Lincoln's fostering hand...to rebuild itself.
544. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...AN HISTORICAL FACSIMILE of Ford's theatre...
598. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
"Sic semmper tyrannis!"
"Our best friend is gone..."
620. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
...The agony which the South endured that a nation might be born...
621. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...a historical presentation of the Civil War and Reconstruction...
622. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY, WOODROW WILSON
Excerpts from Woodrow Wilson...
623. WOODROW WILSON, POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
"...The policy of the congressional..."
624. WOODROW WILSON, POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
"The white men were roused..."
644. RACIAL EQUALITY
...the blacks shall be raised to full equality...
"...a symbol of his race..."
...Inducing the negroes to quit work.
689. FREEDMAN'S BUREAU
...misused to delude the ignorant.
711. DIALECT, GOOD/BAD BLACK CHARACTERS
...traitor to his own people...
741. RACIAL EQUALITY
Enrolling the negro vote...
758. INDIVIDUALS REPRESENT LARGER ENTITIES
...the poor bruised heart of the South...
771. INDIVIDUALS REPRESENT LARGER ENTITIES
Still a North and a South...
784. RACIAL EQUALITY, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...the leading whites are disenfranchised.
788. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...negroes and carpetbaggers sweep the state.
824. GOOD/BAD BLACK CHARACTERS
...faithful family servant is punished...
839. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...House of Representatives of South Carolina...
842. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
Historic incidents from the first legislative session...
866. HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY, MISCEGENATION
Passage of a bill...intermarriage...
875. INSINUATIONS OF RAPE
...The grim reaping begins.
Gus, the renegade, product of the vicious doctrines spread by the carpetbaggers.
913. NOSTALGIA FOR OLD SOUTH
...the degradation and ruin of his people.
925. KKK, HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY
...the organization that saved the South...
948. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
"...crush the white South under the heel of the black South."
970. KKK, FEMALE SACRIFICE
Over four hundred thousand Ku Klux costumes made by women of the South...
1026. INSINUATIONS OF RAPE
"You see, I'm a captain now–and I want to marry–"
1093. INSINUATIONS OF RAPE, FEMALE SACRIFICE
...she found sweeter the opal gates of death.
1096. GOOD/BAD BLACK CHARACTERS
And none grieved more than these.
...a fair trial in the dim halls of the Invisible Empire.
1172. KKK, FEMALE SACRIFICE
"...the red stain of the life of a Southern woman..."
"...the fiery cross of old Scotland's hills..."
1231. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
The master in chains paraded before his former slaves.
1233. GOOD/BAD BLACK CHARACTERS
Hoping to effect a rescue, the faithful souls...
1240. DIALECT, RACIAL EQUALITY
"Is I yo' equal..."
1269. POST-WAR TREATMENT OF THE SOUTH
The social lion of the new aristocracy.
1275. FROM DISUNION TO REUNION
...two Union veterans...
1287. FROM DISUNION TO REUNION, ARYAN BIRTHRIGHT
...common defence of their Aryan birthright.
"...I will build a Black Empire and you as my Queen..."
Lynch, drunk with wine and power...
1389. LYNCH, MISCEGENATION
"I want to marry a white woman."
1398. LYNCH AND STONEMAN
"The lady I want to marry is your daughter."
1432. FROM DISUNION TO REUNION
The Union veterons refuse to allow Dr. Cameron to give himself up.
Ku Klux sympathizers victims of the black mob.
1600. FROM DISUNION TO REUNION
...the double honeymoon."
Dare we dream of a golden day when the bestial War shall rule no more....